To provide a club environment (physical, financial, learning, and organisational framework) where coaches, players and officials are encouraged and supported, to strive and achieve the club’s vision for the top squad teams.
Capital League Vision
To regularly produce high performing teams, predominately from home grown talent, capable of winning premierships. The individuals in this squad will have a passionate, deep understanding of all aspects of hockey (individual and team skills) and a strong commitment and culture to do what it takes to produce sustained success in sport at this level. In addition, the Capital League squad and its members will be strong positive role models and ambassadors for Old Canberrans Hockey Club ensuring we are known as a premier Canberran club to learn and play elite club hockey.
State League Vision
To produce competitive teams which have an excellent development and nurturing environment for junior players who have the potential to play Capital League and beyond in future years. The higher State teams will need to be highly competitive over time to ensure the quality and depth of the playing group is sufficient to ensure sustained CL premiership success.
To provide a club environment where participants can enjoy their hockey and interact socially with team mates and the wider club community.
- Provide a well organised pre-season launch and trial for all members, including Capital League pre season trainings and fitness.
- Provide a quality and enjoyable fitness program that is encouraging of players
- Provide quality training involving development of individual and team skills (e.g., drag flicks, tossers, stick trappers, set plays and game strategies)
- Develop a playing structure or style that can then be applied at the state league levels to ensure players coming through the system understand the game plan
- Provide an environment that enables and encourages players to earn selection into the ACT Representative teams.
- Develop an increased number of players capable of Premier League selection through internal development programs, squad programs, recruitment and interchange strategies.
- Establish and improve junior player pathways and integration into the top squad
- Target promising juniors and provide them with high level coaching through scholarship programs and The Checks Academy.
- Develop team leadership and mentor programs
- Develop short and long term team goals, team rules and a positive team culture (involving sportsmanship, respect for others, commitment, etc)
- Establish regular coaching, player and team reviews to reflect on what works and where improvements should be made
- Encourage coaches to undertake coach education opportunities so they continually strive to be the best coaches possible
- Encourage players to participate in junior coaching at club and regional level to improve their understanding of the game and assist in junior development
- Establish a source of club resources to fund and support elite coach and player performance and training